Seal Beach is a coastal city in Orange County, California. As of the 2010 census, the population was 24,168, up from 24,157 at the 2000 census.
Seal Beach is located in the westernmost corner of Orange County. To the northwest, just across the border with Los Angeles County, lies the city of Long Beach and the adjacent San Pedro Bay. To the southeast are Huntington Harbour, a neighborhood of Huntington Beach, and Sunset Beach, also part of Huntington Beach. To the east lie the city of Westminster and the neighborhood of West Garden Grove, part of the city of Garden Grove. To the north lie the unincorporated community of Rossmoor and the city of Los Alamitos. A majority of the city’s acreage is devoted to the Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach military base.
[ Notable people ]
- Andrija Artuković, Nazi collaborator convicted of war crimes.
- Robert August, one of the two surfers in Bruce Brown’s classic surf film The Endless Summer, grew up in Seal Beach.
- Jimmy Bennett, Actor, born in Seal Beach. Portrayed Captain Kirk (during his childhood) in Star Trek.
- Sean Collins, founder of Surfline.
- Susan Egan, actress/singer, starred in broadway productions including the role of Belle from Beauty and the Beast also does voice work most notably Meg from Disney’s Hercules, born in Seal Beach.
- Matt Embree, vocalist/guitarist of the band RX Bandits and founder of the Mash Down Babylon Records record label, both of which are also based in Seal Beach.
- Steve Goodman, singer-songwriter and author of “City of New Orleans”, “A Dying Cubs Fan’s Last Request” and “You Never Even Call Me By My Name” made Seal Beach his home from 1980 until his death in 1984.
- Bill Green, former United States record holder in track and field and fifth in the hammer throw in the 1984 Summer Olympics lived in Seal Beach from 1988–1999
- Jack Haley, Sr – first US National surfing Champion
- Mike Haley – 2nd US National surfing champion
- Jack Haley, Jr. – former NBA player
- Zach King, reality TV personality
- Chris Kluwe, punter for the Minnesota Vikings of the NFL
- Greg Knapp, Denver Broncos quarterbacks coach.
- Pat McCormick, a two-time Olympic platform and springboard gold medal diver (1952 & 1956).
- Chance Perez, singer, part of the boyband In Real Life.
- Jack Snow, Notre Dame and Los Angeles Rams football player
- Clayton Snyder actor who played Ethan Craft in the Lizzie McGuire TV show and film.
- Randy Stonehill Grammy nominated singer/songwriter resides in Seal Beach with wife Sandi
- Chad Wackerman, rock and jazz drummer who has worked with Frank Zappa, Barbra Streisand, James Taylor and many others
- Bill Ward, drummer, solo artist, and occasional lead vocalist of hard rock/heavy metal band, Black Sabbath.
- Bob Welch, professional baseball player